An older fireplace can be an attractive feature in any room if you invest a little time and thought into making it appealing. Some options cost more money than others, but all of them fall into 3 basic categories. You can update your existing fireplace if it is inefficient or unsightly, enhance the surroundings of your fireplace to highlight its beauty, or change the way you decorate your fireplace for a new look. Any of these ideas will add style to your room and make it a place you want to be. Some require a professional company like ours, others homeowners can do themselves.
Enhance The Surroundings Of Your Fireplace
The wall that your fireplace is on and the features that surround it can make a huge difference in looks. There are many ways you can enhance the surroundings of your hearth to highlight this cozy asset.
- Install a veneer to act as a frame for your hearth. The days of shoddy “lick & stick” veneers are gone, and today you can choose from stone, brick, and many types of tile. A contemporary stone wall might be perfect. Bricks? Art tiles to match the age of your home? You choose!
- Consider the mantel above your hearth. Do you want more space for decorating? Deepen the ledge with a kit or replace it with a salvaged mantel unit taken from a historic house. From a simple beam to an elaborately carved mantel, there are many ways to add the perfect touch to your room.
- Some homes have beautiful built-in bookcases on both sides of the fireplace, along with several tiers of ledges above the hearth. Pre-built bookcases can be connected with moldings for a similar look. If this appeals to you, but you lack the skills, research custom woodworkers in your area.
- Paint is a fast way to change a boring fireplace wall dramatically. If you want to paint the bricks, make sure it is a paint that is safe for fireplaces.
- Adding a fireproof floor immediately in front of the fireplace changes the look of your hearth and protects your floor. Brick, stone, and tile can echo existing detail and enhance the beauty of your room.
Change The Way You Decorate Your Fireplace
Decorate your mantle for the season by changing what you display on a regular basis. The fireplace mantel is ideal for vignettes of cherished items and memorabilia.
- Cut some flowering branches in late winter and put them on the mantel in attractive vases or jars. The warmth will encourage early blooms, and you will enjoy hints of the coming Spring season.
- Lean a large mirror against the wall so that candles or lights are reflected, and more light is in your room.
- Experiment and learn what you like. If you don’t like something, change it until you do!
- Be sure to read our previous article about mantel decorations.
Update Your Existing Fireplace
A fireplace that is not doing the job it was designed to do needs to be updated because it isn’t efficient. It also can be a safety hazard if repairs are needed. The solution is simple: explore your options and choose what is best for your home and your budget.
- Many times all it takes are glass doors that will keep the flame safely inside while allowing heat to warm the room. These doors are available in many styles to match any fireplace style. They also increase fireplace safety.
- A fireplace insert can turn a black hole into an energy-saving hearth feature that burns gas, wood, or pellets according to your preference. A professional consultant can explain the pros and cons of each.
- Sometimes repairing your existing fireplace is the best solution. If your home has historical significance, this will keep its features intact.
Fireplace installation companies like ours often get asked the same questions about fireplace safety. Different measures exist and they all depend on the type of fireplace you have at your home. It doesn’t matter if you have a wood-burning or a gas fireplace. Bellow, you will find the best fireplace safety tips for each category.
Safety Tips for a Wood-Burning Fireplace
Consider the most common type of fireplace for its traditional appeal and cozy charm. Wood-burning fireplaces are fairly easy to use. However, its recommended to follow these safety tips to keep them in good shape.
1. Use the Right Type of Wood
Not everything should be burnt in your fireplace. It’s important to always use dry, cured firewood. Moist wood produces less heat and creates more smoke than dry wood. Increased smoke levels will rise the creosote build-up rate on your chimney. Creosote is a highly flammable substance. Here are some of the top kinds of wood to burn include:
- White ash
- Sugar maple
- White oak
2. Focus on the Damper
It’s also a good idea to close the damper when you’re not using the fireplace. This ensures that the air you’re paying to heat doesn’t escape up the chimney. If the damper doesn’t seal properly, be sure to have it replaced.
3. Install a chimney cap
A chimney cap helps to prevent objects, rain and snow to fall into your chimney. Also with a chimney cap, you will keep animals from nesting on your chimney. If you wish to know about what kind of animals live in chimneys and how to keep them out, here is an article for you.
4. Store your wood properly
Storing your wood for a year will ensure that it is dry enough to be burnt. Dryer wood = less creosote on your chimney. Keep your firewood covered on top but leave the sides open for air to circulate.
5. Keep a fire extinguisher close
Fire authorities recommend having a fire extinguisher close to your chimney or any room with fire activity. Doing so is allows homeowners to be prepared in the rare case of a fire.
6. Install Detectors
All homeowners should have smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes. This applies to homes with or without fireplaces. The presence of a fireplace makes it even more important. Carbon monoxide detectors can make homeowners aware if their fireplace is malfunctioning.
7. Schedule professional chimney services
Having your chimney inspected is the best safety measure. A chimney professional has the skills to identify chimney needs that a homeowner may miss. A chimney technician will identify any structural damage, creosote build-up or other safety concerns. They can also clean your chimney. It’s important to schedule a chimney inspection at least once a year.
Safety Tips for a Gas Fireplaces
Many homeowners view gas fireplaces as safer due to the lack of smoke, soot or the need to light matches. By following these easy tips, you don’t have to worry about anything when you decide to create a warm fire in your home.
1. Create Clearance Zones
Clearance zones are critical when you have a gas fireplace. You don’t’ want to place electronics or décor too close to the fireplace. Be sure that nothing flammable is nearby, including:
Also, you never want to lean anything against the glass or too close to the firebox.
2. Install a Safety Screen
Check the safety screen that serves as a barrier between the firebox and the room. It ensures that the fireplace is safe and is more efficient.
3. Schedule Maintenance
You should plan to schedule yearly maintenance to ensure that everything is working as it should. Professional chimney maintenance will allow you to make sure that the gas lines are in good condition. Often, smaller issues can be addressed without costing too much if you catch them early enough. Chimney Services companies like ours provide professional fireplace repair services around the Washington D.C area.
The chimney room is a great place to create memories with your loved ones. That is why it is so important to exercise safety at all times. Don’t hesitate to ask any other questions you might have. The All Pro Chimney team is always happy to help.
Regency is one of the most popular gas fireplace manufacturers. Their embrace of the use of cutting-edge manufacturing technologies and their commitment to quality and customer service, their hearth products are in high demand throughout the world. We find that our fireplace installation customers in the Washington DC Metropolitan Area are very happy with their Regency gas fireplaces. This article is a guide that homeowners can use to help in the process of selecting the Regency gas fireplace that is the best fit for their home and energy needs.
Regency Gas Fireplace Products
Regency offers direct vent gas fireplaces in a variety of styles that will fit into and complement your home regardless of your decor, including modern, contemporary, traditional, and classic styles. Their optional accessories allow you to customize them to your requirements further. There is something for everyone’s tastes and needs. They can be installed in any room in the house without significant renovations. Some models can be installed in homes that do not currently have chimneys. Here’s a quick overview of what Regency gas product lines.
City Series Modern Gas Fireplaces – This unique lineup of styles feature the state-of-the-art in contemporary design and quality. Regency’s exclusive Cool Wall System technology allows you the freedom to use any type of finishing materials right up to the edge of the fireplace. Finishing the fireplace in this manner creates a clean and elegant finished appearance. Cool Wall System technology opens up a whole new world of fireplace design and decorating possibilities. Heat is transferred from the fire away from the surrounding walls. Transferring the heat away enables homeowners to even use flammable decorating finishes such as wood and wallpaper flush with the fireplace, creating a seamless and blended look. It also allows for other items such as pictures and artwork, televisions, and other electronics and accents to be displayed directly above or beside the fire viewing area without the use of a mantelpiece or a heat barrier. City Series Fireplaces are available in single-sided, two-sided, and three-sided viewing perspectives to integrate into any space and to disseminate the warming and comforting atmosphere throughout more than one room.
Regency offers an online Fireplace Idea Gallery and a Fireplace Design Center that will help you to choose your preferred style of gas fireplace. You can also try out different custom designs until you get exactly the look that you want. You can also view galleries of the fireplaces that other satisfied customers have chosen for their homes. Then you can download and print your designs to bring it to us, your local licensed Regency dealer so we will know exactly what you want. The only step left for you to do is to book a Fireplace installation service with our team of professionals, call us now.
Regency Fireplace Products Accessories
Fireplaces add value to your home. If you wish to increase the value of your house further, installing some Regency Fireplace accessories will help you. The reason behind this is that Regency Fireplace accessories provide enhanced convenience and safety. With that in mind, here are some of the preferred accessories that are available with all of their direct vent gas fireplaces and inserts. Fireplace accessories increase the performance of your chimney and add to the value of your home.
Variable Speed Blowers – Fireplace blowers help to distribute heat throughout the room and to the far corners of your home. Having multiple speeds to choose from provides the best in comfort because the blower can be set to move the warm air faster or slower, depending on your need. These blowers are designed for quiet operation and to provide an immediate heat boost.
Safety Screens – Regency makes the safety of their products a number one priority. Their high-quality safety screens are made to keep the flames inside the fireplace, away from kids and pets. Safety screens are included with every fireplace model.
Conversion Kits – Functional accessories such as heat distribution kits and propane gas conversion kits are available to customize your fireplace further.
Remote Control Heating – You can optimize your climate to your own unique needs with a highly versatile and user-friendly remote control. The remote control can program your fireplace to come on or turn off at the time you want and at the temperature you need. Your rooms will be warm and comfy whenever you’re ready to use them.
Full Manufacturer’s Warranty – Regency builds all of its products from the ground up using the best premium raw grade materials. They know their fireplaces and accessories meet the highest standards of quality, and they stand behind every unit that they sell. As a result, Regency Gas Fireplaces are protected by a lifetime limited warranty widely recognized as one of the most comprehensive warranties in the industry. Regency stands behind their products.
Benefits Of Gas Fireplaces
Many people enjoy the traditional feel and the rituals involved in using a wood-burning fireplace. From cutting and stacking the logs on a chilly Autumn day, to building and lighting the fire and enjoying the aura and aroma of a crackling hardwood blaze, an old-fashioned fireplace can be a great source of pleasure and comfort. However, they have a downside. They can be messy, they take a while to get going and start putting out heat, require supervision, and can even be a hazard if they are not kept clean and maintained.
Gas fireplaces can provide the same atmosphere and heat without the mess and the fuss, and they have many other benefits besides. Direct vent gas fireplaces can be used in homes without chimneys because they don’t produce the particulates and smoke that a wood fireplace does, and they can also be installed as inserts in traditional fireplaces. In some states, a homeowner who wants a fireplace has no other option but gas due to local and state ordinances against air pollution.
Here are just a few of the great benefits provided by gas fireplaces.
- Simplicity of operation. No need to cut or haul logs into the house or use kindling and paper to light a gas fireplace, simply push a button or use the remote control that many models are equipped with. Many also have timers that can be set to turn off or on at a certain time, and most have blower fans to efficiently distribute the air throughout the room and home.
- Constant heat source. Wood fires need to be tended and stoked and as they burn down they put out less heat. Gas fireplaces begin heating the room as soon as they’re turned on and maintain a constant source of heat throughout their operation. Many also have thermostats to regulate the heat output and keep the room at the desired temperature.
- Very low maintenance. Gas fireplaces require no cleaning as they produce no ash or smoke to cause a dangerous creosote buildup. They serve as another element of your home’s heating system. All that’s required is a yearly inspection to ensure everything is hooked up correctly and that the gas valves are clean.
- Safe operation. Gas fires don’t emit sparks or cause hot embers to pop out on the floor, and they create no emissions that can pollute the atmosphere within your home or outdoors, making them the most environmentally-friendly option. You don’t have to worry about children or pets playing in or accidentally falling into a hot fire.
- Heat when the power’s out. Regency gas fireplaces can be easily started and safely used even when there’s no electricity to power the igniter, so you and your family will always be warm and secure no matter what.
Traditional wood fireplaces have their place and will always be with us, but the advantages of gas fireplaces make them the best choice for many homeowners.
Designer and entrepreneur Robert Little started out by designing and building his own woodstoves inside his garage, producing well-made products that quickly rose in demand. He launched Regency Fireplace Products in 1979 in an outlying area of the city of Vancouver, Canada.
From the beginning, Robert Little believed in utilizing the latest in manufacturing and design technologies and techniques. Borrowing ideas from the popular and effective Lean Manufacturing philosophy, he and his team developed their own in-house program called EXCITE – Exercising Continuous Improvement Towards Excellence. This allows them to streamline the manufacturing and marketing processes throughout every facet of the company from the drawing board to the finished piece to maintain the strictest standards of quality in their products as well as their affordable prices.
Their design teams are continually striving for innovation in a competitive industry through extensive research and development, and their engineers utilize the latest 3D CAD technology and certified in-house testing laboratories to ensure they meet regulatory changes and consumer demands, producing some of the most efficient and aesthetically pleasing fireplaces on the market. The company’s manufacturing facilities use state-of-the-art robotic technologies to ensure build quality and to lower final costs to the consumer.
One more reason why Regency is the best brand for fireplace products is that they practice environmental responsibility. They do it by ensuring that all of their woodstove and insert designs are fully compliant with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standards. They achieve this by designing fireboxes that more efficiently distribute airflow around the wood so that it burns completely with very little ash or air-polluting smoke.
Regency Fireplace Products has a major presence in the industry through their dedication to quality, innovation, and excellent customer service. If you choose to have one of their products installed in your home, you’ll be glad you did, guaranteed.
Ready To Buy A Regency Gas Fireplace?
Contact a local fireplace installer like our company. A professional installer will help you through the final stages of selecting the right Regency gas fireplace model for your home. They will discuss the best BTU output for the size of your rooms and how important it will be to use the fireplace for a supplemental heat source. They can help you to ensure that you’ll have the maximum radiant heat and controllable turndown for your particular needs. A professional will also schedule the best time for delivery and installation of your unit. The installation should be completed quickly and smoothly with a minimum of disruption and inconvenience to you.
All Pro Chimney Services has been installing and repairing fireplaces and chimneys in the Virginia, Maryland, and Washington D.C. region for many years. We’ve earned a reputation for quality work and excellent customer service that has gained the trust of our many customers. When you’re ready to purchase a Regency fireplace or a product from one of our other top manufacturers, just give us a call at 1-844-257-9848 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.
Installing an outdoor fireplace can make quite a difference in the look and feel of your home. From providing a spot to hang out with guests to keeping everybody warm outside, there are many reasons to install a fireplace outdoors. We find that outdoor fireplaces are particularly popular in Howard County. Here are five benefits of installing an outdoor fireplace that you’ll experience right away.
Outdoor fireplaces help you entertain guests
Whenever you add something to your home that’s both stylish and comfortable, it makes for a great spot for guests. As far as entertaining goes, it doesn’t get much better than an outdoor fireplace. You and your guests can sit around the fireplace or custom firepit enjoying drinks and conversation without worrying about getting cold. You can also add extra seating and table space to accommodate more guests. Here are a few quick entertainment ideas:
- Fireside dinner
- Drinks and conversation
- Music by the fire
Outdoor fireplaces keep you warm on chilly evenings
Spending time outside gets considerably harder during the colder season. It’s a lot easier when you have installed an outdoor fireplace to keep you warm. If you love the winter weather but hate being out in the cold, you’ll enjoy relaxing next to your outdoor fireplace and reading a book or having a morning cup of coffee. And when summer rolls around, it’s a great way to keep everybody warm at night.
Outdoor fireplaces add resale value to your home
One of the most useful benefits of installing an outdoor fireplace to your home is the increase in resale value. Many homes are amazing on the inside but lack appeal on the exterior of the house. Installing an outdoor fireplace is among the best ways to increase resale value. Installing outdoor fireplaces is recommended in an article in US News & World Reports.
Smoke from outdoor fireplaces repel bugs
Acting as a bug repellant is a lesser-known benefit of installing an outdoor fireplace. You don’t have to worry about a bunch of bugs flying in your face so much with an outdoor fireplace. The smoke from your outdoor fireplace works as a natural insect repellant. Burning fire while you’re outside can help cut down on the number of bugs bothering you.
You can cook on your outdoor fireplace
Outdoor fireplaces are a great tool when it comes to outdoor cooking. A fireplace isn’t quite as easy to use or accurate as a gas grill, but they still provide an excellent heat source if you’re looking to do some outdoor cooking. You can cook simple things like marshmallows or hot dogs on sticks, or you can have a fire grate installed so you can do full-scale cooking in your fireplace.
No matter what you’re looking for out of your home, chances are you’ll find many benefits to installing an outdoor fireplace. Not only are outdoor fireplaces a great way to entertain guests and stay warm, but they are also an investment that adds a lot of resale value to your home.
Want an estimate for installing an outdoor fireplace?
Schedule An Appointment
Last week I was talking to a friend from Vienna, VA about the process I went through to pick the right wood burning fireplace. As its name implies, this type of fireplace is fueled by wood — but it’s way more versatile than you think. Professional chimney services companies like ours will always review the options with you. However, with so many fireplace options available, it can be tough to make a final decision. From style to heat production, all kinds of factors come into play. Not sure where to start? Worry not, here are some tips to help you choose the right wood-burning fireplace to your home:
The right wood-burning fireplace should bring instant pizzazz to your home. If you’re eager to class up your interior decor, try a fireplace with traditional masonry. Nothing shouts sophisticated quite like beautiful stones or brickwork. If, however, you prefer a contemporary look, you’ll want to consider these options:
- Mosaic tiles
- Reflective gold
- Metallic accents
Choosing the perfect wood-burning fireplace can be a real challenge. Begin by reflecting on your current decor and the ambiance it conveys. A classic fireplace might look odd in a decidedly contemporary home — and vice versa.
Of course, while your fireplace should match your home’s overarching aesthetic, it should also provide enough contrast to serve as a proud centerpiece. Select a material or color that helps your fireplace stand out against the existing walls and flooring.
Open Versus Closed Combustion
The terms open and closed combustion refer to whether closed doors are needed for a given fireplace to function optimally.
- Open combustion fireplaces can operate successfully without glass doors. When you picture a traditional hearth, you probably think of an open combustion fireplace. While this approach provides much of the ambiance and charm associated with wood burning fireplaces, it’s not as efficient as closed combustion fireplaces.
- With closed combustion, the doors must remain shut for peak functioning. Designed for maximum heat production, closed combustion styles are best for homes in which fireplaces serve more of a practical (versus a decorative) function. That’s not to say closed combustion fireplaces aren’t attractive — style simply isn’t the primary consideration.
What About Wood Burning Stoves And Inserts?
Traditional fireplaces are by no means the only option if you’re looking for a wood-fueled solution. Alternate options include:
- Wood burning stoves, which do not need to be built into the wall or with a chimney. Many homeowners favor wood burning stoves for their flexible installation and efficiency.
- Wood burning inserts, which can be used to alter an existing fireplace. This is an ideal option for homeowners who love the appearance of their fireplace but desire increased heat production or efficiency. With inserts, you get the best of both worlds: impressive efficiency without sacrificing the classic aesthetic you desire.Here is an article that you may find useful.
No matter how stylish, no one fireplace, stove, or insert solution is ideal for every home. Think carefully about how your fireplace can best fit into your aesthetic and lifestyle. The perfect wood burning fireplace is out there — you just need to find it.
Hey are you interested in a gas fireplace? why dont you read this article about how to choose the rigth gas fireplace